BOMA/Chicago Foundation: DEI Workshop - Authentic Allyship in the Workplace
Wednesday, November 8, 2023 (2:00 PM - 5:00 PM) (CST)
DEI Workshop: Authentic Allyship in the Workplace
November 8, 2023 from 2PM to 5PM (In-Person Only)
Willis Tower; 233 South Wacker Drive; 34th Floor; Burnham Room
$75 Per Person; Tickets limited to 30 people
Facilitated by Johnnie Campbell, M.Ed
The BOMA/Chicago Foundation has created a 90-minute workshop that is tailored to diversity, equity and inclusion in the commercial real estate industry. This workshop will introduce you to the practice of authentic allyship. You will walk through real-life scenarios of bias and inequities that have occurred in the offices of your peers and then discuss the ways in which you could have been an authentic ally in these situations. The purpose of this program is to help you constructively intervene in situations where you notice non-inclusive behavior.
During the workshop, students will:
- Review important DEI terminology.
- Have honest conversations with peers and discover powerful ways to enact change in the workplace.
- Discover the difference between performative allyship and authentic allyship.
- Performative allyship is defined as giving rhetorical support of a diverse and inclusive culture without the genuine commitment and hard work that is required for societal change.
- Authentic allyship is defined as the genuine attempt to transfer the benefits of privilege to those who lack it, to advocate on another group’s behalf and to help achieve real change.