BOMA/Chicago Foundation: DEI Workshop - Authentic Allyship in the Workplace
Wednesday, November 2, 2022 (12:00 PM - 1:30 PM) (CDT)
DEI Workshop: Authentic Allyship in the Workplace
November 2 from 12PM to 1:30PM
800 West Fulton (2nd Floor)
SOLD OUT! Please contact Jaclynne Madden at email@example.com with questions.
The BOMA/Chicago Foundation Diversity Committee has created a 90-minute workshop that is tailored to diversity, equity and inclusion in the commercial real estate industry. This workshop will introduce you to the practice of authentic allyship. You will walk through real-life scenarios of bias and inequities that have occurred in the offices of your peers and then discuss the ways in which you could have been an authentic ally in these situations. The purpose of this program is to help you constructively intervene in situations where you notice non-inclusive behavior.
During the workshop, students will:
- Review important DEI terminology.
- Have honest conversations with peers and discover powerful ways to enact change in the workplace.
- Discover the difference between performative allyship and authentic allyship.
- Performative allyship is defined as giving rhetorical support of a diverse and inclusive culture without the genuine commitment and hard work that is required for societal change.
- Authentic allyship is defined as the genuine attempt to transfer the benefits of privilege to those who lack it, to advocate on another group’s behalf and to help achieve real change.
We would like to thank 800 West Fulton and JLL for donating the workshop venue.
In This Section
Set the stage for your own successful business development strategy as a BOMA/Chicago sponsor. Offering a variety of social and networking events each year, BOMA/Chicago gatherings truly embody one of our greatest strengths: the strong sense of community and collaboration between our Building and Affiliate Members. Learn more by downloading our 2022 BOMA/Chicago Sponsorship Prospectus.